The Minnesota Professional Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (MN SPJ) recognizes the best in Minnesota journalism each year with its annual Page One Awards.
As always, a few minor changes have been made to this year’s contest. In particular, we’ve made revisions to certain categories in the Newspaper division in response to feedback from our members. The new categories are:
- A division of the Enterprise/In-Depth category into single story and series categories, to better showcase the best in both types of work.
- A revision to the Arts Criticism/Review category (new last year) to allow an individual journalist to be judged on the strength of a body of work, rather than a single story. Journalists can now enter up to three examples of their work. This change has been applied in both the Newspaper and Online divisions.
- A division of the Best Sports Story category to two new categories: Best Sports News Story and Best Sports Feature Story, to allow us to celebrate more of the great sports journalism done in Minnesota.
This year, MNSPJ has elected to hold the price of a contest entry steady at $22 — the same as last year.
Journalists working for all print, broadcast and online news outlets in Minnesota (or news outlets in neighboring states that cover Minnesota) are eligible to enter. All work published or broadcast during the 2017 calendar year is eligible. Entries must be submitted by Friday, February 23.
Contest winners will be honored at MN SPJ’s Page One Banquet, an annual spring event celebrating excellence in Minnesota journalism. The date and location for the banquet will be announced later.
- Online Contest Submission Form
- Complete Listing of Contest Rules and Guidelines
- Complete Listing of Contest Categories and Descriptions
Please contact MN SPJ with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org