- Contest opens on Saturday, January 15, 2022
- The fee is $22 per entry.
- Entries must be submitted no later than 12 noon on Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022.
- All work published or broadcast during the 2021 calendar year is eligible.
- Journalists (including freelancers and contract employees) working for all print, broadcast and online news outlets in Minnesota (or news outlets in neighboring states that cover Minnesota) are eligible to enter.
- An individual may enter works of journalism in a tier above their news outlet’s division (circulation/employee count), but may not also submit that same work for judging in their own division, too.
- Entries will be judged by journalism professionals outside Minnesota.
- Judges and/or contest organizers may move an entry from one category to another. New for 2022: Judges and/or contest organizers may merge categories or divisions to promote competition when there are limited entries.
- Up to three winners may be chosen for each category. Judges may choose not to name a winner in any category..
- Entries will not be returned.
- Awards Presentation: Winners will be announced in the spring/summer of 2022
- The large newspaper division is open to submissions from online-only publications.
- New for 2022: Judges for Special Awards can name one winner. They have the option of awarding one honorable mention, as well.
- New for 2022: We may publish links to winning entries on the MNSPJ website.
- New for 2022: Entrants are responsible for providing contest organizers with instructions so that judges can call up submissions that are housed behind website paywalls.
- NEWSPAPER, ONLINE & PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES must be submitted online.
- FOR PRINT ENTRIES (Newspaper and Magazine): Entrants should submit a link to the online article or a PDF of the news/magazine page on which the story appeared. The date of publication should be visible.
- FOR NEWSPAPER AND MAGAZINE “BEST ISSUE” CATEGORIES: New for 2022: These entries must be submitted electronically – hard copies no longer will be accepted.
- FOR GRAPHICS/PHOTOGRAPHY CATEGORIES: Entrants should submit a PDF of the news/magazine page on which the art appeared, or a link to the art published on an online news site. The date of publication should be visible.
- FOR TV ENTRIES: Entrants should submit a URL where video can be viewed
- FOR RADIO ENTRIES: Entrants should submit a link to the work online.
- LINKS or PDFs: The contest entry form provides space for up to three links and three PDF attachments. Please contact MNSPJ if you are having trouble fitting entries into these spaces.
CLICK HERE to access the contest submission form